Point Fermin Lighthouse

This lighthouse no longer functions, with a wooden replica lantern now sitting darkly in the tower. Originally built in 1874, the light was turned off after the bombing of Pearl Harbor so it wouldn’t serve as a beacon for the enemy and the lense was missing for decades. Later found, it was then installed in the gallery after the building became a museum and was added to the national register of historic places. The building is constructed with California redwood and has an overly quaint look to it with well manicured grounds surrounded by a white picket fence. Sometime around 2015, the organization holding the museum became caught up in severe financial difficulties and for a time the building was closed to the public. Visitors are allowed to come to the museum now, but only on Saturdays. The rest of the time the lighthouse is closed to the public, although rarely is it dark so someone is obviously using it the remainder of the time.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License